Historic site and monument
in Cistrières

Eglise romane St-Pierre et St-Roch

Romanesque church with a 7th century choir, listed in the additional inventory of Historic Monuments of January 1926, XNUMX.
The Benedictines of La Chaise-Dieu served the church of Cistrières before 1067 and shared its suzerainty with the lord of Clavelier. The priory was united with the abbey mense before 1366. The parish, under the patronage of Saint Pierre, came under the diocese of Saint-Flour and the archpriest of Brioude until the Revolution.

In 1844, the paneling covering the nave of the church was in danger of ruin. In 1873, the addition of a chapel was planned. In 1875, a larger project began, on the plans of E. Léculée, departmental architect, who kept only the apse and destroyed the bell tower placed on the triumphal arch. The nave, the aisles, the facade with the bell tower, were rebuilt and completed in 1885.
The west facade was rebuilt in neo-Romanesque-Byzantine style with a bell tower of three arcades which has three bells, one of which is from the 1879th century. The pentagonal chevet is Romanesque. One of the XNUMXth century stained glass windows depicts St Joseph with the adolescent Jesus. The comb coachman dates from XNUMX.
Nave: dates from the 19th century and was built in the neoclassical style which can be seen at the level of the capitals representing acanthus leaves and putti. Above, in the same alignment, we find a very massive fluted pillar in neoclassical style.
Choir: 12th century novel, listed as a Historic Monument on January 7, 1926. It is topped by a cul-de-four vault. Buffet wall encircling the choir.
Outside, the apse is flanked by buttresses which support the building. Under the cornice of the roof, sculpted modillions represent grimacing faces, imaginary animals.
Difference between the Romanesque style used in the choir and the nave remodeled in the 19th century.
In 1957, the architect Frédéric Bachelier replaced the basket-handle brick vault that covered the nave with a wooden coffered ceiling. In 2008, a restoration carried out by the architect François Desnier, restored the choir to its Romanesque volume, removed the buttresses and opened the bays of the apse. Inside repair of coatings, paintings and lighting. The new altar was consecrated by Bishop Henri Brincard.


St-Pierre: Sinner from Galilee, he is chosen by Christ to be one of the Twelve Apostles and the head of the Church. It is he who confesses that Jesus is the Son of God and who swears never to abandon Jesus before denying him three times at the time of the Passion.

St-Roch: Born around 1350 in Montpellier, he first devoted himself to the service of the poor in his native town, then he put on the habit of a pilgrim and headed for Rome. There, he zealously cared for the sick and especially the plague-stricken, showing thaumaturgical gifts in their favor. Affected by the disease himself in Plaisance, he returned to his homeland once cured.
Arrested as a spy for the Pope by the Duke of Milan, he spent five years in prison where he died around 1379. The fame of his miracles spread throughout southern France and then throughout Europe. He is very venerated in the canton of La Chaise-Dieu.
Tips and Suggestions

At the start of hikes including the PR612 and 613

We speak French

Visit

Individual visit services

  • Unguided individual tours permanently

Group visit services

  • Unguided group tours permanently

Opening

Opening hours from January 01 to December 31, 2024
MondayOpen
TuesdayOpen
WednesdayOpen
ThursdayOpen
FridayOpen
SaturdayOpen
SundayOpen

Prices

Free

Services

Equipments

  • Parking nearby

Activities on site

  • Concert

Linked offers

On the spot…

Address

Le Bourg
43160 Cistrières
How do I get there?

Was this content useful to you?